HAMILTON PUBLIC LIBRARY
ORAL HISTORY PROGRAMME
YOUTH ORAL HISTORY PROJECT
Notes Supplied by Ray Parkinson
High School Teachers
Mr Tait - Headmaster nicknamed "Grub" because of short stature.
Mr Barlow - English & Grammar (killed in North Africa while I was still at school)
Mr Senior - 5th Form Maths, French.
Mr Malcolm - 4th Form Maths & Agriculture
Mr Morton - 4th Form History and Geography
Mr Mason - Science
Mr Prestley - 3rd Form Maths - taught with the strap
Mr Sayers - 3rd Form English & Grammar
I think the Headmistress was Miss Campbell
Primary School Teachers
Miss de Renzie - Infant Mistress
Mr Cliffe - Headmaster
Model T Ford pickup - mainly because my Uncle - Len Cate had the necessary knowledge to keep it operating.
Then Model A Ford where everyone could sit in comfort inside. I learnt to drive this car.
Ford Prefect - knowing we would be leaving the farm.
Curnow - farms opposite Parry i.e. between Campbell & Meyer.
- Road changed - straightened
- The older hand pick and shovel made road was straightened by Caterpillar bulldozer and carry-all
- The old bend opposite our farm entrance was very sharp and once a Tuck & Watkins truck with a single pine log (full load) went over the bank.
- Sand made walking or biking on the road very difficult. The prevailing wind carried the sand to the east side of the road, so we mostly tried to walk on the drain side i.e. west
- There was little motor traffic so it wasn't a problem then
- Mr Chayne Murry - opposite Temple site used to dam the drain at his property and used the water to drive a water wheel and operate the milking machines
- Removal of Hill in Garden Place by Gooseman
- Ford Motors
- FAC - saddlery
- Fires - smoke - fog
- Seed for bush burn farm at Kawhia - collected from along roadside
- Using old fashioned flails
- All by hand (manpower) except sweeps. Horse drawn mowers
- Rakes gathered for sweeps
Call up 18½
Levin - basic
Seagrove - ADU (Aerodrome Defence Unit). (Seagrove is on south side of Manukau Harbour)
Rotorua - aircrew selection & ITW (Initial Training Wing) Wellington -
19th birthday - SS Lurline to San Diego (USA)
- San Francisco (USA)
- Vancouver (Canada) - no. 3 Wireleas School
- Winnepeg (Ontario) - Leave to Minneapolis
- Mossbark (Moosejaw) - Gunnery
- Toronto Niagra Falls - New York
- St John
- New Amsterdam - Troop ship
- Obon (UK)
20th birthday - Aylesbury
21st birthday - Mepal (75 Sqdn)
- Bari (South Italy)