|Disaster and Development - Trainer's Guide - 1st edition (Disaster Management Training Programme, 57 p.)|
|INTRODUCTION (15 minutes)|
Introduce yourself, have participants introduce themselves (try an icebreaker).
Introduce the topic "Disasters and Development". Explain your format. schedule, and arrangement for breaks and messages.
Ask participants to list their learning objectives on a flip chart or wall chart.
Compare the participants learning objectives with these.
· How disasters affect development
· How development affects vulnerability
· How recovery programs can promote development and reduce vulnerability
· How to assess trade-offs in investing in vulnerability reduction
· The role of the UN, NGOs, and the community in forging the disaster/development linkage