|Thread Cutting by Dies and Taps - Course: Techniques for machining of material. Trainees' handbook of lessons (Institut für Berufliche Entwicklung, 20 p.)|
Thread cutting by dies produces an external thread. The work-pieces are processed on the external surface.
- Operations are carried out in chucked conditions.
- Often extended chuck jaws are employed in order to ensure true workpiece running and not to damage the surface of the pre-worked parts.
- The die is positioned in the die holder.
- The die is positioned by means of the quill.
Figure 16. Positioning the die
1 die, 2 quill, 3 support for die holder, 4 workpiece
- The first thread turns must be cut by hand.
- After the initial cut machine processing follows with the help of a support for the die holder. (see Fig. 14)
- Ensure proper cooling and lubrication.
- The chip chambers must always be kept clean.
- Turn back the die by hand after having completed the work sequence.
- The thread is checked by means of a thread ring gauge.
Figure 17. Normal thread ring gauge to check an M 16 thread
What is checked by means of the thread ring gauge and what must