1. Derek Summerfield, 'The psychosocial effects of conflict in
the Third World', Development in Practice Vol 1 No 3, 1991.
Bennett, "Ordinary madness", Guardian, January 1993.
3. Press reports of rape
in former Yugoslavia, 1993.
5. Rosanna Carrillo, Violence against
women: an obstacle to development, New York, Centre for Women's Global
6. Ed Vulliamy, 'Pope warns raped women on abortion',
Guardian, 1 March 1993.
7. Bennett op.cit.
8. Cle Mukaruguba, ACORD,
9. Chris McGreal, "Rename conceals child "brides" of
boy soldiers", Guardian 11 June 1993. 10 Derek Summerfield, 'The psychological
effects of conflict in the third world: a short study', Oxfam 1990.
Health Unit, 'Effects of conflict on women'. (Paper prepared for gender and
13. Bennett op.cit.
women-the beginning of a new struggle", African World Review May-Oct
15. Eugenia Piza-Lopez, personal account of observations in El Quiche,
16. Karl Maier, "Women fall victim to Somalia's prejudice',
Independent, 5 January 1993.
17. Vulliamy, op.cit.
Women's Caucus document, UN Conference on Human Rights, Vienna, 1993.
CCIC/Match Two halves make a whole, Ottawa, 1991; Mary B Anderson et al A
framework for people-oriented planning in refugee situations taking account of
women, men and children, UNHCR 1992.
21. Mary B Anderson and Peter Woodrow,
Rising from the ashes, West view Press/UNESCO 1989.
22. Sara Hlupekile
Longwe, 'Gender Awareness: the missing element in the third world development
project', Changing Perceptions, Oxfam 1991.
23. See for example Bridget
Walker 'Disaster relief: the gender perspective', Oxfam 1993.
24. N Kelley,
Working with refugee women: a practical guide, NGO Working Group on Refugee
25. UNHCR policy on refugee women. Submitted by the High
Commissioner to the Executive Committee of the High Commissioner's
26. Elizabeth Ferris Women, war and peace: an issue paper, Life
and Peace Institute, Uppsala 1992.
27. Linda Agerbak 'Breaking the cycle of
violence', Development in practice Vol. 1 No. 3, 1991.
28. N Kelley, Working
with Refugee Women: A Practical Guide, Geneva: NGO Working Group on Refugee
29. Elizabeth Ferris, 'Refugee Women and Family Life', in McCallin M
(ed), The Psychological Well-Being of Refugee Children: Research, Practice and
Policy Issues, ICCB, Geneva.
30 UNHCR Technical Support Services, UNHCR and
Refugee Women. February 1989.
31. A Mahjoub 'The Theory of Stress As An
Approach to Studying Psychological Responses in a War Environment', in McCallin
M (ed) The Psychological Well-Being of Refugee Children: Research, Practice and
Policy Issues, ICCB, Geneva.
32. M McCallin and S Fozzard, The Impact of
Traumatic Events on the Psychological WellBeing of Mozambican Refugee Women and
Children, International Catholic Child Bureau, Geneva, 1990. (Summary by N.
Taylor in Health Unit).
33. Derek Summerfield 'Charting Human Response to
Extreme Violence and the Limitations of Western Psychiatric Models: An
Overview'. Presented in ISTSS World Conference: Trauma and Tragedy. Amsterdam
34. Derek Summerfield, 'Psychosocial Effects of Conflict in the
Third World: A Short Study', Oxfam,