|Better Farming Series 13 - Keeping Chickens (FAO - INADES, 1977, 48 p.)|
|Small livestock farming in the villages|
14. Hens can be much better fed and much better looked after without the farmer spending much money.
15. As it is, in many villages you see hens of a good breed, that are well- fleshed, resist diseases well, yield a lot of meat and many big eggs.
16. Near the towns, there are even large poultry farms that produce eggs and chickens to be sold to the people in these towns.
These are industrial farms.
In this booklet we are speaking especially about raising poultry at home.
When raising poultry at home:
· the farmer and his family
themselves look after the birds;
· the greater part of the birds' food is not bought;
· most of the meat and eggs are used by the family; only the surplus meat and eggs are sold.