|Sourcebook of Alternative Technologies for Freshwater Augmentation in Latin America and the Caribbean (UNEP-IETC - OAS, 1998, 247 p.)|
|Part A. Introduction|
The methodology used to prepare the Source Book included the following steps:
· Identification of the institutions dealing with alternative technologies for augmenting or maximizing freshwater resources in Latin America and the Caribbean to participate in the Workshops.
· Identification of national experts at these institutions to catalogue, through field surveys, the technologies used in each country of the region.
· Completion of an intensive survey of the literature on technologies used in the region to augment freshwater resources.
· Identification of an international consultant to compile the Source Book.
· Preparation of the draft table of contents and submission by the consultant for comment to the UNEP Water Branch in Nairobi and the UNEP Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean in Mexico City, Mexico.
· Discussion of the reports to be presented at the Workshops by the national consultants.
· Preparation and implementation of the two Workshops with the participation of national consultants and specialists from international and regional organizations. The main objectives of the Workshops were (1) to identify alternative technologies utilized in the region for freshwater augmentation, and to present technology profiles and case studies; (2) to analyze the technologies presented and to select technologies and case studies which should be included in the Source Book; and (3) to analyze the proposed contents of the Source Book including the table of contents.
· Compilation of the results of the literature, field surveys, and the Workshops into a draft. · Submission of the draft to the UNEP Integrated Water Programme for comment.
· Revision and publication.
· Evaluation of the project with the UNEP Integrated Water Programme and the International Environmental Technology Center, formulation of follow-up activities, and promotion of the use of appropriate technologies for augmenting freshwater resources in the region through specific workshops and demonstration projects.
The final reports of the Workshops held in Peru (in Spanish) and Barbados (in English) were prepared by the Unit of Sustainable Development and Environment of the General Secretariat of the Organization of American States. The results of the literature survey are lodged with the Unit of Sustainable Development and Environment of the OAS at its offices in Washington, D.C., U.S.A.