|How to Act after Accidents caused by Electrical Current - Course: Basic skills and knowledge of electrical engineering. Trainees' handbook of lessons (Institut für Berufliche Entwicklung, 20 p.)|
|3. Immediate Measures after an Accident Caused by Electric Current|
The health defect and the life of the injured person depend to a high degree on the correct rescue work.
First aid measures - Rescue and bedding of the injured person
- Artificial respiration in the case of respiratory
- Cardiac massage in the case of cardiac arrest
- First wound treatment
- Calling medical help
Measures in the case of unconsciousness (survey)
Measures in a state of consciousness
- Let the injured person drink an alkalinized
(Sodium hydrogencarbonate drinking ampoule or two table-spoonfuls of bicarbonate of soda in 1 l water.)
- Only then treatment of secondary wounds, such as immobilization of fractures etc..
- give the injured person any medicine!
- Do not pour any fluids down an injured person's throat! (Danger of suffocation).
- Do not touch open wounds with hands.
- Do not remove foreign bodies that have penetrated the body.
Reanimation must be continued until clear signs of returning life are visible or a medical doctor orders to stop the measures.
What information should an information board of first aid give?
Every person who had an accident caused by electric current has to be considered as seriously injured. Such person must not be left alone!