|BASIN - News No. 03 - January 1992 - Building Advisory Service (BASIN-GTZ-SKAT, 1992, 34 p.)|
|Cement as section|
Technical Briefs: Cements and Binders, by the Cementitious Materials Advisory Service of BASIN.
Since the start of the Cementitious Materials Advisory Service (CAS) about three years ago, nearly three hundred technical enquiries have been received and replied to, the majority on cements and binders.
To reply to a number of enquiries it has been necessary to undertake extensive research, and also because some enquiries were of a very similar nature, it was decided to prepare a series of technical briefs drawing together the expenences the CAS has built up since it started. In this task we were assisted by a consultant, Mr. Tony Bullard, who also wrote many of the technical briefs. About 20 technical briefs are planned covering a diversity of subjects related to cements and binders, particularly lime and pozzolanic cements. So far five have been published, and these are detailed below. These technical briefs are available free of charge from the CAS at ITDG (address given at front of this section) to genuinely interested persons and organisation.
1. Introduction to CAS -an Advisory Service. This leaflet describes how and why the Cementitious Materials Advisory Service (CAS) was set up, and the scope of the services it offers.
2. Alternatives to Portland Cement -an Introduction. This describes what alternative cements to Portland Cement exist and gives outline details on their production and use.
3. A Case Study in Lime Production, Traditional Batch Techniques at Chenkumbi, Malawi.
4. A Case Study in Lime Production -Improved Techniques at Chenkumbi, Malawi: 4 Tonne Per Day Mixed Feed Forced Air Vertical Shaft Kiln.
5. Small -Medium Scale Oil Fired Lime Kilos.