What can rabbits eat?
40. Rabbits eat almost any kind of plant that is not sour or
spoiled. Much of the food that they eat is not needed for anything else.
41. So, you can raise rabbits, using very little of the food
that you need for your family or for your other farm animals.
42. Rabbits mostly eat green plant materials such as leaves or
stems, or parts of green plants that you do not use. They also eat many kinds of
43. If you have nothing else, you can feed your rabbits only
green plants and weeds.
44. However, if you want them to grow very well and fast you
will also have to feed them some richer foods.
45. In many places, you can buy good, rich foods made especially
for rabbits. These are called rabbit pellets.
46. Some farmers feed only pellets, and their rabbits grow very
well. However, rabbit pellets cost a lot of money.
47. There are many other rich foods that you can give your
rabbits, which do not cost so much or which you can grow yourself, such as
wheat, barley, beans, maize, sorghum, millet or soybeans.
43. You will learn more about what to feed rabbits and when and
how to feed them in the next booklet in this