|Ideas for Action : Save, Recycle and Do Not Pollute (IIRR, 1992, 146 p.)|
|Wildlife and habitat conservation|
Bird-watching is fun!
You can do this as a hobby or pastime. This can also be educational. Moreover, bird-watching can train you for careers requiring field research or activities. Many of those who are now ornithologists and conservationists started as bird-watchers.
What to wear
· Clothes with colors that blend with the surroundings; earth colors are preferable like brown shirts and pants. Bright colors will disturb birds.
· Hat or cap (with fasteners for greater convenience)
· Comfortable footwear (for watching shore birds wear wading shoes or rubber shoes and socks)
What to bring
· Small record notebook and pencil
· Binoculars, preferably 10 x 50 (though you can still do without)
· Bird pictures or bird guidebook like:
Dupont, J. E. Philippine Birds Monograph. Series 2. Delaware Museum of Natural History, Greenville, Delaware, USA. 1971.
Gonzales, P. and C. Rees. Birds of the Philippines. The Haribon Foundation for the Conservation of Natural Resources, Inc. Kyodo Printing Co., Manila, Philippines. 1988.
When to watch
· Forest birds and other bird-early morning (5:30 -9:00 a.m.) or late afternoon (4:00 - 8:00 p.m.)
· Shore bird-low tide, immediately following a high tide (refer to tide table/calendars with tide notations)
Where to watch
· Near creeks, rivers, lakes, shoreline areas
· Mudflats and other coastal areas
· Mangrove forests
· Open areas near forests
· Trees with fruits, plants with flowers
· Forests and jungles
Techniques in bird-watching
· Sun must be at your back.
· Watch birds in small groups.
· Listen to bird calls.
· Estimate body size, measurement of bill, wings, legs.
· Note colors and bill shapes.
· Do activities in the area quietly.
Some bird-watching groups for information exchange
The Haribon Foundation for Conservation of Natural Resources, Inc., 340 Villamor Street, San Juan, Metro Manila, Tel. Nos. 704316/784179, Fax No.: 631-2061
Philippine Wetland and Wildlife Conservation Foundation, Inc.,
295 B. R. Duterte St., Banawa
Cebu City 6000, Tel. Nos. 210-604/216-729, Fax No.: (032) 210604
At all times abide by: The fieldman's credo:
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time.
Ideas for Action:
A Technology Information Kit, November 23 - 28, 1992