|Shearing - Course: Technique of working sheet metals, pipes and sections. Trainees' handbook of lessons (Institut für Berufliche Entwicklung, 17 p.)|
Shearing denotes non-chip cutting of sheet-metals and sections. Cuts may be straight-lined or curve-shaped in optional lengths.
Figure 1. Shearing
Compared to sawing and chiselling, shearing has the following advantages:
- No metal is removed from the material.
- Scribed lines can be exactly followed up.
- Joint faces only require little re-work.
- Shearing process is fast.
- Way of cut may be straight-lined and curve-shaped.
Special shearing techniques are:
Cutting-in, cutting off, cutting out, punching