|Better Farming Series 27 - FreshWater Fish Farming: How to Begin (FAO, 1979, 43 p.)|
1. Fish farming is the raising of for personal use or profit. It is sometimes called fish
2. By raising fish we make better use of our land and our water.
3. By raising fish your family will have more to The protein in fish will keep your family strong Fish are tasty, like chicken, sheep and goat.
4. If your family is not too big you will have more fish than you need for food and you can sell them at the market.
5. If your family is not too big with more food and more money you and your family can live better.
6. But fish farming is not easy. To raise fish is as hard work as to raise anything else, such as maize, rice, cassava or groundnuts.
7. You will need to learn to do many things.
8. You will need a piece of land where you can build a pond,
A piece of land
a supply of water,
A supply of water
baby fish to begin,
food for your fish.
Food for fish
9. You will need time to build a pond and to care for it regularly. Fish farming takes a lot of time.
10. If there is a fish culture station near where you live you may be able to get help from an extension agent.
Fish culture agent
11. If there is no extension agent you will need to learn many things by yourself.
12. You will need to know the type of soil best for your pond, how to dig your pond,
Dig the pond
how to fill it with water,
Fill the pond with water
how to fertilize it.
Fertilize the pond
13. You will need to know what kind of fish to raise,
The kind of fish to raise
how to put the baby fish into your pond,
Put the baby fish into the pond
what to feed your fish, how to feed them.
Feed the fish
14. You will need to know how to take care of the pond,
Take care of the pond
how to drain it,
Drain the pond
how to harvest the fish,
Harvest the fish
how to use your own baby fish to start again.
Make a new pond
15. This book will help you to begin good fish farming.