Raising the level of your water supply
42. If the stream that supplies your water is not much higher
than your ponds, it may be difficult to get the water to run down when you want
to fill them.
43. By building a barrage, you can raise the level of the stream
so that water will run down more easily into your fish- ponds.
barrage of tree branches
44. You can build a simple barrage (using a woven mesh of tree
branches like the one shown above). You can also use loose stones or rocks or
logs set into the stream bottom.
45. A barrage does not hold back all of the water that runs down
the stream. Depending on how it is built, some of the water will be held back
and some of the water will flow through or over the barrage.
46. If the tree branches, logs or rocks are placed tightly
together, the water level behind the barrage will be higher.
47. If the tree branches, logs or rocks are not placed so
tightly, the water level behind the barrage will be lower.
48. If you build a barrage and too much water flows through, you
can hold back more water by putting more branches, logs or rocks on the