|How to Act after Accidents caused by Electrical Current - Course: Basic skills and knowledge of electrical engineering. Trainees' handbook of lessons (Institut für Berufliche Entwicklung, 20 p.)|
|3. Immediate Measures after an Accident Caused by Electric Current|
Also here it is supposed that the injured person has just been rescued.
Brief examination of the injured person to find out the extent of the injuries.
- Examination of heart action
- Examination of the pulse
- Opening of too tight clothes which might obstruct the respiration
- Recognition of further signs of life
· Rosy skin
· Pupillary light reflex
· Mucosa visibly blood-supplied
- Stating of further injuries
· Burns of the skins
· Arterial bleedings
· Bone fractures
Bedding the injured person in coma position
Figure 1 - Coma position (right side)
If the injured person is wounded on the right side of his body, he is put in coma position on his left side.
The coma position prevents the squeezing of the respiratory tract and enables the flowing off of blood, phlegm and vomit through the mouth.
- Constant examination of respiration and heart
- Supply of fresh air
- Treatment of arterial bleedings
- Calling of medical help
- Preparation of the transportation of the injured person to further medical treatment