|Design of a Suspension Burner System for Forestry and Agricultural Residues (NRI)|
A series of trials was conducted to:
· establish a standard lighting
and operating procedure;
· determine the optimal operating conditions for sawdust combustion at various moisture contents and the maximum moisture content of sawdust capable of sustaining combustion;
· determine the system's range and optimal energy and temperature outputs;
· determine the combustion efficiency of the furnace and overall efficiency of the furnace/heat exchanger system;
· gauge the performance of the construction materials;
· obtain data to assist with the design of a commercial unit for application in a selected industry; and
· determine the system's suitability for combustion of groundnut shells, coir dust and rice husks.
Consideration was also given to:
· dewatering of coir
· the performance of different feeder systems;
· ultimate and proximate analysis of the feedstocks; and
· ash fusion temperatures.