|Health Education Syllabus Grade III Teachers' College In Uganda (SHEP, 63 p.)|
By the end of this unit, students should be able to:-
1. Explain the concept of Primary Health Care.
2. Identify the components of Primary Health Care.
3. List activities that the individual; the family and the community can do to promote Primary health Care.
4. Explain the organisation and functions of Primacy Health Care Committees.
1. Introduction to Primary Health Care.
(a) Human environment
(b) Health determinants
(c) Definition of Primary Health Care.
(d) The problems the community encounters in delivering Health Services.
(e) Services provided by Primary health Care to the community:-
2. Strategies of Primary Health Care
(a) Community participation in delivering Health Care services.
- Responsibility of an individual
- Responsibility of the family
- Responsibility of the entire community.
(b) Inter-sectoral collaboration on Health
(i) Ministry of Education
(ii) Ministry of Agriculture
(iii) Non-Governmental Organisations
(iv) Ministry of Health.
(c) Application of appropriate technology i.e. use of locally available material for provision of Health services e.g.
- construction of VIP Latrines
- protection of wells
- food processing etc..
3. Elements/components of Primary health Care.
(a) Health Education
(b) Maternal and child health care plus family planning
(c) Mental Health
(e) Safe water and sanitation
(f) Supply of essential drugs
(g) Prevention of communicable diseases.
(h) Treatment of common diseases
(i) Oral Health
(j) Nutrition and food production.
4. Methods of promoting Primary Health Care.
- Seminars and workshops
- Use of village Health workers
- Village Health committees
- Primary Health care Committees
- Resource personnel e.g. Traditional birth Attendants, Health workers etc.
- Child to child approach
- Use of schools and Colleges
5. Organization and function of Primary Health Care Committees
- School/Institution Health Committee
- Village Health Committee
Membership - must be multisectoral e.g. village Health committees should be composed of:-
- Health workers
- R.Cs and Chiefs
- Field Extension workers etc.
(i) Mobilization of the community
(ii) Monitoring of health status of the community
(ii) Reporting of health problems to relevant authorities
(iv) Maintainance of Health Services e.g. water sources
SUGGESTED ACTIVITIES AND METHODS
- Discussion of different topics e.g. Family Planning, Immunization etc.
- Demonstration of actual construction of a VIP latrine, Family Planning methods, Balanced diet. etc.
- Field trips e.g. Health Centres, School Farms.
- Role play e.g. Role of Health Worker in the community
- Dramatization e.g. AIDS Drama.
- Resource personnel
- Projects of Water, Housing, Agriculture etc.
- Observations and Recordings
- Oral questions
- Written exercises.
Basic Primary Science and Health for Uganda. Teachers Guide Vol.