|Health Education Syllabus Grade III Teachers' College In Uganda (SHEP, 63 p.)|
By the end of this Unit students should be able to:
1. Describe and list the ways children perceive health and illness.
2. Explain how childrens mental development affects their learning of health concepts.
3. Explain the concept of health and how it can be promoted.
4. List various types of environment and describe their effects on health.
5. Describe different problems that may affect proper growth and development of a person at various stages.
6. Explain the role of the individual, and community in the promotion of health.
7. Explain the concept of Health Education and how it can be promoted.
It must be noted that this unit is Introductory and many of the topics will be revisited in depth during the course.
1. The meaning of Health
2. The childs concept of Health and illness.
3. Stages of cognitive mental development and how they affect concept learning and concept attainment.
4. Activities essential in promoting good health practices e.g. general Education, moderate and well balanced habits, sense of personal security.
5. Types of environment e.g. physical, social and biological.
6. Environmental factors which promote and affect health.
7. Characteristics of normal growth and development at various stages i.e.
- during pregnancy,
- birth to five years,
- five years to puberty
- during puberty
- middle age
- during old age
8. Factors that promote proper growth and development of a person; nutrition, attendance at ante-natal clinics, importance of exercise and rest, posture etc..
9 The role of the individual, the family and the community towards our health.
10. What is Health Education.
- Meaning of Health Education
- Strategies for promoting Health Education
(a) in the home
(b) in school
(c) in the community
- Role play
- Observations and recording
- Oral questions
- Written exercises
Teachers Guide, Health Education volume I: 1st Edition 1992.