|Training Entrepreneurs for Small Business Creation: Lessons from Experience (ILO, 1988, 154 p.)|
The Calcutta Y Self-Employment Centre (CYSEC) was organised as a registered society by a number of prominent industrialists, businessmen, bankers, professional people and social workers as a response to rapidly increasing unemployment and social unrest in Calcutta in the early 1970s. The Centre provides unemployed youth with vocational training and assistance in establishing their own businesses. The programmes consist of:
(a) training in productive enterprise;
(b) assistance in drawing up a business plan;
(c) assistance in securing bank loans;
(d) arranging initial business contacts for their services and production.
Identification, recruitment and selection of trainees
1. Advertising always generates many more applicants than the programme can handle.
2. The first screening of applications is to match them with the target group, and those selected are invited for an interview.
3. The first interview, which lasts about half an hour, is with members of the Executive Committee. Qualitative assessments are made of the applicants:
- motivation with respect to business;
- desire to work hard;
4. Successful applicants are invited to a second interview to determine the match between the individuals skills and education and the requirements of the current vocational training programmes which have been designed to reflect current business opportunities. Successful applicants are offered a free training programme.
Business opportunity guidance
Technical training is offered only in fields where identified business opportunities exist. At the conclusion of training, assistance is provided in drawing up a scheme for a specific self-employment business.
Management training is offered by volunteers from business. It is directly related to the preparation of a feasibility study/business proposal outlining the potential entrepreneurs financial needs. The proposal is presented to the Project Screening Committee which reviews both the proposal and the individual. One of the banks represented on the Committee processes the proposals that are accepted.
CALCUTTA Y SELF-EMPLOYMENT CENTRE
11, Dr. U.M. Brahm Chari Street
CALCUTTA 700017, India