|Mushroom Cultivation in Thailand (Peace Corps, 1987, 85 p.)|
When purchasing spawn, be sure to observe the following criteria:
1. Choose spawn that is sweet smelling;
2. Free of any molds (usually of green or yellow color);
3. Not too old (mushrooms can be seen growing in the bag), or too young (mycelium growth is not yet evident), and;
4. Contained in bags that are undamaged (i.e., not torn or ripped).
When handling spawn, be sure to observe the following criteria:
1. Do not expose spawn to high temperature or humidity prior to cultivation as this will kill the spawn or lead to the introduction of molds in the bag.
2. Spawn should be kept out of direct sunlight.
3. Spawn should be protected from pests.
4. Spawn should be used shortly after purchase.
5. If planting will not be done until much later, the spawn purchased should be immature spawn and given time to develop in a cool dark place.