|Preventing Suicide: A Resource for Teachers and other School Staff (WHO, 2000, 34 p.)|
Major factors that afford protection against suicidal behaviour are:
· good relationships with family members;
· support from family.
Cognitive style and personality
· good social skills;
· confidence in oneself and ones own situation and achievements;
· seeking help when difficulties arise, e.g. in school work:
· seeking advice when important choices must be made;
· openness to other peoples experiences and solutions;
· openness to new knowledge.
Cultural and sociodemographic factors
· social integration, e.g. through participation in sport, church associations, clubs and other activities;
· good relationships with schoolmates;
· good relationships with teachers and other adults;
· support from relevant people.