|Better Farming Series 30 - Better Freshwater Fish Farming: the Fish (FAO, 1981, 48 p.)|
145. If you have drained all of the water from your pond, you can clean the bottom of the pond.
146. But do not let your pond bottom become too dry. If the bottom of your pond becomes too dry, it may crack and will not held water well when you are ready to fill the pond with water again.
147. Repair the banks and cut the weeds and grass on the banks around the pond.
148. If there are any water leaks in the banks or around the inlet, outlet or overflow, stop them by packing them with good clay soil.
149. When you are finished, let water into the pond and fertilize the water with animal compost, plant compost, animal manure or plant material, as you did before.
Let water into the pond
150. When the pond is green again, put 450 baby fish into the pond. Use only healthy fish which are 5 centimetres or longer.
Put baby fish into the pond
151. In about 6 months you will be able to harvest another crop of fish.
152. This booklet has told you how to grow more fish and how to grow them better.
153. Now that you have built your first big pond and you have used it to grow more fish better, you may decide that you would like to improve your fish farming even more.
154. Booklet No. 29 has told you how to build a bigger pond and how to build it better.
155. But there are still more ways to improve your fish farming. You can
· build still bigger ponds
· build more than one pond
· build new and better kinds of inlets and outlets grow fish in several ponds in such a way that you can harvest fish all year round
· grow fish in pens and cages manage your fish farming together with your farm animals and gardens and fields so that they will be better and produce more.
156. You will learn more about these ways in a later booklet.