|UN Charter of the United Nations (UN)|
The Secretariat shall comprise a Secretary - General and such staff as the Organization may require. The Secretary - General shall be appointed by the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the Security Council. He shall be the chief administrative officer of the
The Secretary - General shall act in that capacity in all meetings of the General Assembly, of the Security Council, of the Economic and Social Council, and of the Trusteeship Council, and shall perform such other functions as are entrusted to him by these organs. The Secretary - General shall make an annual report to the General Assembly on the work of the Organization.
The Secretary - General may bring to the attention of the Security Council any matter which in his opinion may threaten the maintenance of international peace and security.
1. In the performance of their duties the Secretary - General and the staff shall not seek or receive instructions from any government or from any other authority external to the Organization. They shall refrain from any action which might reflect on their position as international officials responsible only to the Organization.
2. Each Member of the United Nations undertakes to respect the exclusively international character of the responsibilities of the Secretary - General and the staff and not to seek to influence them in the discharge of their responsibilities.
1. The staff shall be appointed by the Secretary - General under regulations established by the General Assembly.
2. Appropriate staffs shall be permanently assigned to the Economic and Social Council, the Trusteeship Council, and, as required, to other organs of the United Nations. These staffs shall form a part of the Secretariat.
3. The paramount consideration in the employment of the staff and in the determination of the conditions of service shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Due regard shall be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible.