88. Determine where you are going before training your people to get there73
Training is too often conducted just to fulfil an organisational
requirement, such as to qualify for a credential or because it is budgeted. The
best reason to provide training is to develop your staff, but only if it makes
sense for your organisation.
Are you training for the right reason? Some questions for you and
other members of your organisation:
- Is the training linked to your organisational strategies
- Will the
training prevent problems?
Will it correct existing problems?
- Will the training change the attitudes of your
- Will it affect the
behaviour of your workers?
Will it increase their levels of knowledge?
- Will it build their skills?
- Is training the best solution as opposed to job enrichment
or individual coaching?
training needed as opposed to discipline or termination?
- What resources are available for your