|The News Media and Humanitarian Action - 1st Edition (DHA/UNDRO - DMTP - UNDP, 1997, 122 p.)|
This training module has been funded by the United Nations Department of Humanitarian Affairs for the Crisis Environments Training Initiative (CETI) in collaboration with the University of Wisconsin-Disaster Management Center and The Humanitarianism and War Project, at The Thomas J. Watson Jr. Institute for International Studies, Brown University.
Parts 1 and 2 of this training module are based on and largely preserve the integrity of the book The News Media, Civil War and Humanitarian Action by Larry Minear, Colin Scott and Thomas Weiss, Lynne Rienner Publishers, Boulder/London, 1996. Part 3 on Media Relations is an addition to this book and draws directly and in part from ideas and information found in one of the following five sources:
· The News Media, Civil War & Humanitarian Action by Larry Minear, Colin Scott, Thomas G. Weiss, Lynne Rienner Publishers. Boulder, London. 1996.
· CARE Media Relations Handbook: Getting CARES Message Across. CARE USA Public Relations staff, October 1994.
· Public Information training module prepared by the UNHCR Training Service, Geneva. 1989.
· General Media Relations Guidelines. UNHCR/EMTP Training Module, April 10,1995.
· Dealing with the Media. WFP Emergency Operations, Training Notes.
Charles Dufresne of InterWorks, prepared this training module providing editorial services, design, education components and formatting. Design consultation and desktop publishing were provided by Artifax.
We thank the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees and the International Committee of the Red Cross for allowing us to reproduce both newspaper headlines and photos for this module.
Cover Photo: © 1989 UNHCR/N. van Praag