|Ethnoveterinary Medicine in Asia - Poultry (IIRR, 1994, 40 p.)|
Cause Aspergillosis: Aspergillus fumigates.
Aflatoxicosis: Aspergillus flavus.
Thrush: Candida albicans.
· Birds have difficulty in
· They appear depressed: they are inactive and do not eat.
· They stagger around.
· They become thin
Fungal infections spread through moldy feed. Acute infections kill the birds.
Ducks are more likely to get infections than chickens.
· Feed given to poultry must be thoroughly examined for signs of fungus. Moldy feed must be discarded. Boiling the feed will not get rid of the fungus completely.
· Dry and store feed carefully.
· Crush garlic cloves and add to the feed. Use approximately 1-3 cloves per chicken per day. (India. 1, 2, 3, 4)
· Grind dry turmeric rhizome and mix 1 teaspoon of the powder in 2 liters of drinking water. (India. 1, 2, 3, 4)
Both garlic and turmeric are reputed to have many beneficial properties. It is a good idea to include both every day in the diet of chickens and ducks.
Traditional ways of storing food for people and animals in Andhra Pradesh, India