|Ethnoveterinary Medicine in Asia - Poultry (IIRR, 1994, 40 p.)|
· Poor appetite.
· Poor weight gain.
· Worms in the feces.
· Pale comb and wattle.
· Dull eyes.
· Irregular diarrhea.
· Dull, ruffled feathers.
· Bare patches of skin without feathers.
Chickens may consume feed or water that is contaminated with worm eggs. The eggs hatch into worms, which in turn lay eggs inside the chicken's body. The eggs are expelled in the chicken's feces and may mix again with the chicken's food and water. Eggs become worms; worms lay eggs. As long as the chicken is not dewormed, this cycle continues. Worms particularly affect young chickens (up to 2 months old).
· Provide clean food and
· Deworm regularly using the treatments below.
Preparing Arecha catechu
Use any of the following treatments. The dosages are for adult birds.
· Pierce the unripened fruit or stem of papaya with a knife to get the sap. To get a lot of sap, do this in the early morning before the sun rises. Mix 5 parts of sap with 1 part of water. Give 2-3 teaspoons of liquid (1015 ml) for every 10 chickens for 5 days. (Indonesia. 1, 2, 3, 5, 6)
· Heat air-dried Areca creche nuts in an open fire just enough to roast them. Open the shell and remove the nut. Pound the nut and mix with the poultry feed. Put a pinch of powder in the mouth of each bird once a day for a week. (India, Indonesia. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
· Pound 250 g of fresh turmeric rhizome. Squeeze out juice and use it as drinking water. Give this medication once every month. (India, Indonesia. 1, 2, 3, 4)
· Grind at least 6 fresh cloves of garlic and mix them into the feed. Give this quantity to 10 chickens for 1-2 days. Repeat the medication once a month. (India. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
· Boil a handful of fresh bark or one whole fresh fruit of pomegranate in water for 15-20 minutes. Use half a glass (125 ml) of water for every handful (60 g) of bark or fruit. Strain to get the juice. Give juice as drinking water for 2-3 days. (India. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
· Boil 1 cup of air-dried leaves and seeds of Quisqualis indica in 2 cups of water for 15 minutes. Give 1 tablespoon of the juice, using a dropper for every adult bird once a month. (Philippines. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
· Boil 1 cup air-dried seeds of Bixa orellana in 2 cups of water for 15 minutes. Strain to collect the juice. Cool and force-feed 1 tablespoon juice per bird, using a dropper. Do this once a month. (Philippines. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
· Boil 1 cup air-dried seeds of Lansium domesticum in 2 cups of water for 15 minutes. Strain, cool and force feed 1 tablespoon of the juice per bird using a dropper.
Do this once a month. (Philippines. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)