|Making of Parquetry - Course: Timberwork techniques. Trainees' handbook of lessons (Institut für Berufliche Entwicklung, 14 p.)|
|4. Advice for and Rules with Making Parquet Floors|
Subfloors are made in the following forms:
- Timber beam floor
- Solid floor
- Solid floor with rooms without basement
In the case of a timber beam floor, the following has to be done:
- The inherent stability of the boards is checked. If necessary, they are renailed, replaced or turned.
- The timber is checked for pest infestation and, if required, single pieces are replaced.
- If the boarding floor is no longer able to support load, the boards are taken off and replaced by a 24 mm thick layer of blind boards which are nailed on the timber beams.
- If the new floor level must not be higher than the old one, the boards are inserted between the timber beams and fixed to laterally screwed-on laths.
No spiral-grained wood or wood with falling-off knots must be used for the laths. Wooden floors must not be covered with bituminous or tar-saturated felt. The parquet layer can be nailed on the prepared surface.
Parquetry elements on planed boarding
1 floor beam, 2 inserted timber, 3 laths, 4 timbering, 5 lathwork/plaster, 6 parquet deals, 7 planed boarding, 8 filler, 9 tongue
Parquetry elements on planed boarding laid on a lower level between the beams
1 beam, 2 supporting laths. 3 laths, 4 parquet deals, 5 tongue, 6 filler, 7 timbering, 8 lathwork/plaster, 9 planed boarding fitted between the beams
With solid ceilings and solid floors, respectively, the following sequence of operations is to be adhered to:
- Shall the parquetry be laid on a solid floor, make sure that there is a proper thermally insulating and moisture-proofing layer. If required, it has to be supplied additionally.
- First of all, the solid ceiling or floor, respectively, is carefully cleaned. In doing so, all loose parts are removed.
- The solid ceiling or floor must not release any sand or show any kind of greater unevennesses in its surface. Possibly it must be repaired or reworked.
- When using parquetry-fillets and/or parquetry elements, a layer of bare bituminous felt, pasted edge to edge, must be laid under the parquetry.
Attention! - not with mosaic parquetry!
- Another technique is the laying of supporting beams, if height is no problem. These supporting beams can be covered with a false floor.
Parquetry-fillets with false floor and beam layer on solid subfloor
1 false floor, 2 beam layer, 3 insulating material, 4 bituminous felt strips, 5 solid substructure
In this case, an essential improvement in thermal insulation and sound proofing can be achieved. With this kind of subfloor, parquetry is nailed.
What kinds of subfloors are in use?
When is tar-saturated or bituminous felt laid as the immediate base of parquetry?
How can the insulation properties of a solid floor be improved in connection with parquet laying?