|Training Entrepreneurs for Small Business Creation: Lessons from Experience (ILO, 1988, 154 p.)|
This technical and management consultancy organisation, sponsored by Indian financial institutions and state corporations, conducts entrepreneurship development programmes for four categories of entrepreneurs:
1. Technical graduates.
2. Unemployed graduates (general category).
3. Scheduled castes, tribes and other categories of workers.
4. Women entrepreneurs.
The programmes consist of five stages:
1. Identification of industrial opportunities in the target area.
2. Advertising and promoting the programme to attract applicants.
3. Selection of the participants.
4. Training, using lectures and practical instruction in the identified project.
5. Follow-up with industrial development and financial institutions.
Recruitment, identification and selection of trainees
1. Advertising and promotion in newspapers, handbills, wall posters, cinema slides and personal contacts.
2. Testing for entrepreneurial traits:
(a) Achievement motivation with thematic apperception tests.
(b) Written tests on scales of:
- self-perception of entrepreneurial attributes;
- organisational ability and managerial skill;
- personal maturity;
- executive reaction pattern;
- human relationships;
- human engineering.
(c) Small-group discussions to judge initiative, leadership qualities, communication ability and clarity of thought.
(d) Personal interview by:
- the district industries officer;
- a representative of a financial institution;
- a behavioural scientist;
- a representative of the district administration;
- the programme director; to determine:
- the technical background of the candidate;
- personal financial resources;
- the business background of the candidates family;
- the proposed business project of the candidate.
(e) The candidates are ranked and the top 30 are chosen.
Business opportunity guidance
See section 4.2 of this monograph for the procedure followed.
MADHYA PRADESH CONSULTANCY ORGANISATION LTD.
Gangotri, T.T. Nagar
BHOPAL, India 462003