|Ethnoveterinary Medicine in Asia - Ruminants (IIRR, 1994, 143 p.)|
· Weight loss.
· Lack of energy.
· Dullness and listlessness.
· Low quality feed.
· Overworked animal.
· Hot weather.
· Irregular feeding time. Infectious diseases.
· Stomach trouble.
In the dry season, when the fodder quality is low, Thai farmers give this supplement as an appetizer.
1. Pound and grind together 5 kg mature Terminalia chebula fruits, 5 kg mature Phyllanthus emblica fruits and 600 g salt.
2. Put the mixture in a big container.
3. Pour 15 liters of bovine urine over the mixture.
4. Ferment (i.e., let stand) for 20 days.
5. Once fermented, drench the animal with 600 ml once a day until it regains its appetite. (Northeast Thailand 1,2,3,4)
Use any of these practices.
· Gently rub the animal's tongue with a stick or an iron bar to stimulate salivation.
· Change the feed.
· Mix 500 ml juice of tamarind fruit pulp with 10 g dried Terminalia chebula fruit. Feed this to a large ruminant once a day until it regains appetite. For a small ruminant, use 200 ml tamarind pulp juice.
· Mix together 60 g each of powdered ginger, powdered fennel (Foeniculum vulgare) seeds, brown sugar and 20 g black salt. Take enough of the mixture on your finger and rub on the animal's tongue. Do this every day until the animal regains appetite. (India. 1, 2, 3, 4)
· Pound together 10 g salt and 10 g Trachyspermum ami seeds. Mix with 20 g molasses and feed to the animal twice a day for 2-3 days. (India. 1, 2, 3, 4)
· Grind together 10 g salt and 10 g Trachyspermum ami seeds. Mix with ¼. liter coconut water. Drench twice a day for 2-3 days. (India. 1, 2, 3, 4)
· Drench i/. liter buttermilk twice a day for 2 days. (India. 1, 2, 3, 4)
· Mix 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 100 ml water and 50 g shrimp paste. Feed the animal once a day for 3 days. (Indonesia. 1, 2)
To make the animal gain weight
Mix 1 handful each of fresh Tinospora a rumphii vine, Cassia siamea leaves and Morinda citrifolia leaves, the grated meat from 1 mature coconut and a handful of salt in 10 liters of water. Let stand for 2 nights. Feed about 1 liter of this mixture to the animal every other morning. After feeding, give lots of water. (Thailand. 1, 2)
To make the animal active
Pound and grind together 100 g Tinospora rumphii vine and 100 g galangal (Alpina galanga) roots. Mix with 200 g cooked rice. Make into a ball. Feed this to the animal once a day for 3 days. (Thailand. 1, 2)
Cooking treatments for animals