72. Whichever materials you use, it is best to build your pens
side by side, as shown below. That way, two pens will share a wall and you will
need fewer materials.
73. Build your pens on legs above the ground. That way, the
rabbit droppings will fall to the ground and not collect on the floor.
74. In addition, a pen on legs will help to keep the rabbits
safe from other animals.
Pen on legs
Be sure to fit your pens with metal guards (see page 38) to keep
rats and other small animals from getting to your rabbits.
75. A good size for a rabbit pen is 70 centimetres wide by 90
centimetres long and 50 to 60 centimetres high.
76. This size of pen is good both for full- grown and for young
rabbits, so, you will need to build only one size of pen.
77. Make the inside of each pen as smooth as you can. This is to
keep your rabbits from hurting themselves.
78. There are many ways to build pens. If you know another
farmer who raises rabbits, perhaps you can get some good ideas from him.
79. The drawings on the next page show you several simple rabbit
pens that you can build easily.
80. If you want to build a better pen, the drawings on pages 22
to 43 will show you how. You will also learn how to make feeders for plants and
grain and how to build nest