The animal husbandry services help
17. These services are trying to find out:
· what are the breeds that yield
more, that are more resistant to heat, dampness and diseases;
· what food to give these good breeds;
· what vaccinations protect poultry from diseases.
They also sell cocks, hens and chicks of good breeds.
18. They teach farmers how 10:
· house poultry;
· feed them better;
· protect poultry from diseases;
· organize livestock farming.
The work of the animal husbandry centres and animal husbandry
services is very important.
19. Assistants of these centres and services should:
· have a good knowledge of
traditional livestock farming; and observe carefully what farmers are doing, so
as to advise them better;
· win the confidence of farmers
so that the advice is listened to and followed;
· have a good knowledge of the
modern way of livestock farming so as to produce more.
The work of the assistants Is also very Important.
20. A male is called a cock
A mother bird is called a hen. Their little ones are called
When the chicks have grown big enough to be sold, they are
called chickens. All the birds in the poultry house (cocks, hens, chicks and
chickens) are called poultry.
To succeed in keeping poultry, you must:
· choose hens of a good
· teed them well;
· house them well;
protect them well against diseases.
A family poultry unit should not
cost much, but It should yield a