|The Organization of First Aid in the Workplace (ILO, 1999, 70 p.)|
|Annex IV. First-aid boxes|
(Royal Decree 25 October 1971, article 6) - Contents of medicine chests or first-aid kits as well as the individual kits prescribed by article 178 of the present section.
I. Minimum contents of medicine chests or first-aid kits
a. Articles in fixed numbers
1. Elastic tourniquet (width 5 cm): one.
2. Airway: one.
3. Stainless steel scissors (length 14 cm): one pair.
4. Instructions: Emergency care before the doctor arrives.
b. Articles in variable numbers
Depending on the nature of the work and the number of workers, per fraction or multiple of:
- ten industrial workers, with a maximum of three multiples;
- fifty non-industrial workers with a maximum of two multiples.
1. Packets of sterile bandage:
- two packets with bands of gauze measuring 2 m by 5 cm and pads measuring 10 cm by 7 cm;
- one packet with a gauze band measuring 2 m by 7 cm and a pad measuring 14 cm by 12 cm.
2. Triangular sterile bandage:
- one with dimensions of 90, 90 and 127 cm.
3. Strips of light cambric:
- two with a minimum length of 5 m and a width of 5 cm;
- two with a minimum length of 5 m and a width of 7 cm.
4. Compressed absorbent cotton:
- two packages with a net weight of 20 grams.
5. Silk adhesive bandage:
- one roll with a minimum length of 5 m and a width of 2.5 cm;
- one roll with a minimum length of 5 m and a width of 1.25 cm.
6. Sterile prepared bandage:
- either one strip with a minimum length of 1 m and a width of 6 cm or an assortment of various widths with a total length of 1 m.
7. Antiseptic solution:
- 1 per cent of iodine or at least 50 vol. per cent alcoholic chlorhexidine digluconate or any solution considered equivalent: 30 ml in one or more sealed bottles or ampoules (with file).
8. Stainless steel safety pins:
- ten (boxed or on a card).
II. Minimum contents of the individual first-aid kit
1. Packets of sterile dressing, with absorbent gauze strips at least 2 m long and 7 cm wide: two.
2. Triangular sterile dressing: one with dimensions of 90, 90 and 127 cm.
The articles enumerated under 1 and II above as well as their packaging shall satisfy the requirements of the Belgian Pharmacopoeia (5th edition).