|Journal of the Network of African Countries on Local Building Materials and Technologies - Volume 3, Number 1 (HABITAT, 1994, 44 p.)|
Uganda is informing UNCHS (Habitat) on the follow-up actions it has undertaken pursuant to the recommendations of the Workshop of the Network of African Countries on Local Building Materials and Technologies held from 6 to 8 September 1993 in Nairobi, Kenya.
In order to harmonize and increase the effectiveness of Ugandas collaboration and contribution to the Network, the Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban Development has held a meeting on 17 February 1994 during which an Interim Coordinating Committee was established to coordinate the activities of the Network. The meeting was attended by representatives from academic (tertiary) institutions, private sector, NGOs, individuals and Government Departments. The appointed members of the Committee comprise:
· Eng. Dr. B. M. Kiggundu from the Department of Civil Engineering, Makerere University, Kampala.
· Eng. W. Okello from Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban Development, Housing Department.
· Mr. B. K. Okot, Technical Manager, National Housing and Construction Corporation.
The specific tasks assigned to the Committee include:
· Documentation of activities undertaken by the different Institutions/Organizations in the country which are relevant to the objective of the Network.
· Drawing up of an Action Plan and related budgetary requirements to facilitate the implementation of the Network activities.
· Organization of sensitization Workshop for the potential beneficiaries.
The poor must be helped to upgrade their homes and neighbourhoods