|Training for Elected Leadership - The Councillor as Enabler (HABITAT, 1994, 18 p.)|
|Part I - Essay on the councillor as enabler|
· Enabling is a strategy that can expand your local government's ability to serve its citizens with quality programmes and services.
· Enabling is a process of mobilizing community resources and divesting decision-making to those who use these resources to meet their needs.
· While local governments should provide for local public services, they should leave the production of these services to others.
· Effective councillors have an ever-widening network of contacts and re-sources they can tap to get things done for, and with, their constituents.
· Councillors who collabourate with other stakeholders to provide programmes and services expand their options and conserve their resources in the process.