|Better Farming Series 11- Cattle Breeding (FAO - INADES, 1977, 63 p.)|
|Cattle breeding means wealth|
|A few words to understand the course|
|How cattle feed|
|How to feed cattle|
|Daily requirements of cattle in feed units and protein|
|How to feed calves|
|Looking after cattle|
|Animals must be watched|
|How to watch over animals|
|The health of the herd|
|Cattle must be vaccinated|
|How to take care of wounds|
|What to do about parasites|
|How cattle reproduce|
|The reproductive systems|
|Pregnancy and birth|
|Age of breeding animals|
|Choosing breeding animals|
|How to know your herd|
|What cattle produce|
Mamadou is happy to show us his animals. He has a fine herd of cattle.
His herd of cattle consists of:
· 1 male: the male is called the
· 8 females which have already had young ones: the mother females are called cows.
· 6 young ones of less than 6 months: they are called calves.
· 4 young females which have not yet had calves: they are called heifers.
· A pair of oxen for ploughing. These animals have been castrated; they cannot make young ones any more.