Raising your own baby fish in cages
184. You can raise baby fish in a cage. To do this build a cage
just like one of the ones shown on pages 50 to 66.
185. However, the material you use to cover the cage should have
smaller openings to keep in the baby fish. So be sure to use material with
openings of 0.5 by 0.5 centimetres.
186. Materials with such small openings will get dirty more
quickly. So, you must be sure to clean it often enough so that fresh water can
flow into the cage.
187. You can put up to 1 000 baby fish 1 to 2 centimetres long
in a cage of 1 cubic metre. However, do not put in more than you need to use or
If you have more baby fish than you can use or sell you
can dry them in the sun. After you have dried the baby fish, grind or pound them
and mix them with crushed cottonseed, groundnut cake or rice bran to feed to
your big fish, your poultry or your pigs. You can also use the dried baby fish
to fertilize your farm garden.
188. Feed your baby fish two or three times each day just as you
do with your big fish. You can give them
· rice bran
cottonseed or groundnut cake.
Food for fish
189. Feed your baby fish carefully. Break their food into very
small pieces and sprinkle it little by little on the surface of the water. Watch
very carefully that they eat well and stop giving them food as soon as they stop
190. With a cage, it is important to give the baby fish only
what they will eat and no more. Uneaten food under a cage is very bad for baby
191. In 30 to 40 days the baby fish will grow to 8 to 10
centimetres long and you can put them in a pond or another cage.
192. To do this take them out carefully using a smooth plastic