Greenstone v2.40 has been released, as is available for download from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/greenstone, or via the Greenstone
download page: http://www.greenstone.org/english/download.html
A big change in this release is the inclusion in the Windows download of
the "Greenstone Librarian Interface", a tool for collecting, expanding
and building digital libraries. It gives you access to Greenstone's
functionality from an easy-to-use 'point and click' interface. To use
this tool you will need a suitable Java Run-time Environment (version
1.4.0 or newer) - you can download one from
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html . The Greenstone Librarian
Interface is also available for Unix systems, and can be obtained from
the Greenstone download area on sourceforge.net (link above).
Another big change in this release is the inclusion of only English,
French, Spanish and Russian interfaces in the basic distributions. All
the other Greenstone interfaces (and there are a lot of them!! New since
the last release are Czech, Galician, Japanese and Thai) will be
available as a separate download in a day or two. There are three
advantages to moving these into their own package:
- The standard downloads are smaller (by about 2MB), and many of you
will not get interfaces that you don't use.
- Greenstone uses less memory, and runs a tiny bit faster, since it
doesn't have to load as many interfaces.
- New interfaces, and updates to existing interfaces, can be made
available to you much more quickly.
Other important changes and additions since the last release:
- A new plugin for importing data from perl's DBI interface (eg. mySQL,
postgres, MS ODBC, Sybase, Excel...).
- A new plugin for parsing records downloaded from an open archives
initiate (OAI) server.
- Improvements to MGPP configuration, and a new MGPP user's guide.
- Updates to pluginfo.pl and classinfo.pl to display more information,
and in a standard way.
- Many bug fixes and other improvements...
All the best,