|Disaster and Development - Trainer's Guide - 1st edition (Disaster Management Training Programme, 57 p.)|
|PART ONE: THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN DISASTERS AND DEVELOPMENT (45 minutes)|
Review the material that has been covered up to this point and reinforce the learning objectives.
· The relationship between disasters and development can be summed up with 4 concepts:
- development can increase vulnerability
- development can reduce vulnerability
- disasters can set back development
- disasters can provide development opportunities
· Disaster effects vary with the hazard type causing the disaster
· Vulnerability varies between different societies and economies
- newly industrializing economies
- rural/agricultural economies
- small island economies
- highly stressed economies
BREAK (10 minutes)
This is a good time to take a break.