|Disaster and Development - 2nd edition (Department of Humanitarian Affairs/United Nations Disaster Relief Office - Disaster Management Training Programme - United Nations Development Programme , 1994, 60 p.)|
|PART 4. Forging the links between disasters and development|
· UN Agencies and NGOs can play a part in reshaping national strategies in disaster preparedness, mitigation, and recovery, this is accomplished through:
- increasing knowledge and awareness
- demonstration of risk reduction measures through better decision making and planning
- technical expertise and information exchange
- legitimizing and financing of mitigation projects
· UN agencies and NGOs should strive to set positive examples and serve as models for local government counterparts.
· Community involvement is critical to the design and implementation of mitigation programs.
· Since disasters rise from situations of poverty, development programs should be aimed at reducing poverty.