|Disaster Economics - Trainer's Guide - 1st Edition (Disaster Management Training Programme, 88 p.)|
|PART 2: ALTERNATIVE DISASTER SCENARIOS (1 hour)|
Discuss these questions (further elaboration appears in the text). Acknowledge that the group can't know enough about the Maldives to answer with certainty. Ask a question and get reactions. To promote discussion ask, for example, how decisions could be made in each of these cases. Who would need to be involved in making the decision? What type of data would be required? Where might the data come from? Will "numbers" be sufficient or will there be cultural or political realities that influence decisionmaking?
1. Should Male be the only island to be protected?
2. Should the other islands be developed and protected?
3. Is it better to pay for expensive mitigation investment, or take a chance that global warming will not occur?
4. Should Maldives become grant dependent on a single country?
5. Do the advantages of surrounding Male with a sea wall outweigh locating the wall at selected sites?