|Disaster and the Environment - Trainer's Guide - 2nd edition (Disaster Management Training Programme, 74 p.)|
|PART 4: IMPLEMENTING ENVIRONMENTAL CHANGE|
Mention practices which may help to reduce the amount of toxins in the environment.
· Inspect industrial plants and storage facilities for safety and make needed improvements.
· Establish evacuation and warning procedures that might release large doses of toxins to the environment in the event of an accident.
· Monitor toxic waste disposal procedures and document toxic waste dumps on a hazard map with information about chemicals dumped.
· Monitor pollution levels of water, air and soils.
· Discourage excessive use of household chemicals, pesticides and fertilizers.
· Adopt better production methods which produce fewer toxic substances.