|Cerebrospinal Meningitis Epidemics and Surveillance Systems in the Sudan, Ethiopia and Chad (Centre for Research on the Epidemiology of Disasters, 1990, 40 p.)|
|II. COUNTRY REPORTS|
|B. People's Democratic Republic of Ethiopia|
The Department of Epidemiology has developed an elaborate plan for epidemics response with a well-defined operational plan.
- operational plan with definition and identification of vaccination teams, surveillance teams.
- active case detection during epidemics
- defined procedures for epidemic confirmation
- defined procedure for decentralisation of treatment facilities in temporary shelters near the affected villages
- community involvement in epidemic control measures
- weak surveillance capacities for early detection of epidemic
- use of RMP for prophylaxis treatment
- no approval of the use of Oily Chloramphenicol
- high risk groups targetted vaccination during epidemic
- no formal coordination procedure with NGOs, other international agencies for international assistance requests and for epidemic response