|Cerebrospinal Meningitis Epidemics and Surveillance Systems in the Sudan, Ethiopia and Chad (Centre for Research on the Epidemiology of Disasters, 1990, 40 p.)|
|II. COUNTRY REPORTS|
|C. Republic of Chad|
Several mechanisms have been implemented especially for famine, food security, and drought. The health sector has one Crisis Committee called in case of emergency but with no activity toward preparedness. Due to the limited resources of this committee, its actions are also limited. All these committees are at the central level. There is no peripheral structure responsible for the management of emergencies at the peripheral level.
- In the Minist pour la Sritlimentaire et les Populations Sinistr- Ministry of Food Security and Disaster Victims.
- CASAU: Action Committee for Food Security and Emergencies
This committee meets weekly and is effective in coordinating international assistance and requests.
- In the Ministry of Health:
- CASU, Comit'Action Sanitaire d'Urgence: Action Committee for Emergencies in Health
The Director General (DG) of the MOH chairs this committee and it is called on by the DG. It meets whenever there is a call for emergency action in the field of health. The other members of this committee are representatives from:
- the different Sections in the MOH
- the department of epidemiology
- all public and private health institutions
- International Organizations
- Bilateral Cooperation Agencies
- Non Governmental Organisations
Their main objectives are to evaluate an emergency situation and to coordinate the response. This committee has no action plans, no emergency budget, no financial or trained human resources. The participation of the different donor agencies present in Chad in this committee, allows the Government to make directly the first requests for International Assistance.
- Early Warning Systems:
Several systems exist in the agricultural and food sector.
- Syst d'Alerte Prce SAP (AEDES/EEC): Early Warning System to forecast food and nutritional crisis in zones at risk.
operates only in the northern zone
- Famine Early Warning System (FEWS/USAID) to forecast nutritional status degradation
operates in the north
- DIAPER II: Permanent Diagnosis - Bureau of Agricultural Statistics
to improve the quality of statistical information available on crop production and livestocks in 9 countries of CILSS
operates only in the south
- AGHRYMET: Department of Water & Meteorological Research (DREM) collection of data on agro hydro meteorological situation for early detection of crop failure
operates in the north
- National Nutrition and Food Technology Centre (CNNTA)/MOH Outposts
- monitoring of children's nutritional status in 48 health posts
- CNNTA mobile teams conducting nutritional surveys at the request of the Prefecture