|Disaster and the Environment - Trainer's Guide - 2nd edition (Disaster Management Training Programme, 74 p.)|
|PART 2: THE HUMAN DIMENSIONS OF ENVIRONMENTAL CHANGE|
Review each of these points and reference the previous discussion.
The major driving forces influencing human interaction with the environment:
· The more people, the greater the demand will be on the environment.
· A majority of the worlds poor live in ecologically vulnerable areas.
· Economic growth is changing the global environment.
· Growing urban areas impose tremendous pressures on resources.
· The types of technologies chosen influence the amounts of energy consumed and pollution generated.
· Markets, governments, national and international political economies and policies affect the environment.
· Attitudes and beliefs frequently affect the environment.