|Emergency Information Management and Telecommunications - Trainer's Guide - 1st Edition (Disaster Management Training Programme, 78 p.)|
|PART 1: EMERGENCY INFORMATION MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS (2 hours)|
Give a brief description of the uses of the various tools offered. Ask participants for other of hardware/software tools which they have found useful in their work. Have them identify the advantages and disadvantages of each.
Global positioning systems or "GPS"
· measures precise locations of positions on earth.
· used to track convoy movements, locate data-gathering teams
· assists with on-site gathering of epidemiological assessment data
World Wide Web
· useful source of secondary information
· managers should beware of high long-distance costs