Focusing on the intent of your project
Let's focus on the basic premise of the income generating
project and the thought process that goes into developing and re-evaluating one.
When facing doubts in the midst of developing a project with women, return to
the reasons for which you got involved in the first place. It may help if you
write these down. The things you write down may be the product of a
brainstorming session between you and the women or perhaps between you and other
volunteers or counterparts. The following are some questions asked of the
participants of the workshop, and their responses. These may help you in
developing and re-evaluating your own project.
1. What is an income generating project?
- Something that can make a profit
- A planned and continuous
- An activity that will change the living conditions of the
- An activity that will generate cash
2. Why should women be involved in income generating
- To achieve financial independence
- To enable them to
- To increase their status
- To improve the health of
- To learn money management skills
- To use their talents
in marketing and production
- To improve their general standard of
- For social interaction
- To improve the village economy
be able to trade their goods/services for other goods/services
3. What types of projects do women engage in?
- Batik and tie-dyed cloth for clothing and
- Soap making
- Making pomade (hair oil)
- Raising poultry
for meat and eggs
- Fish processing
- Food preparation
- Pottery making
- Sales of household items
Raising and processing sesame seed
- Traditional healing
- Traditional birth attendants
4. What kind of projects could women be involved in but
- Cloth making
- Fruit drying
- Growing cotton
Driving a taxi
- Owning a bitiko (shop)
5. What are the advantages for women to work together in a
community based project?
- The needed skills can be taught to the entire group by a
facilitator and information can be shared.
- The women may be able to pool
resources and ideas.
- Loans are now available for community based projects
- The women can offer each other support in the community.
Women, as a group, may have more political power than an individual.
6. What are the disadvantages of working as a group?
- There will be varying degrees of cooperation.
working in a group may not have as much incentive as those who have their own
- women may become protective of their own business