|Knurling - Course: Techniques for machining of material. Trainees' handbook of lessons (Institut für Berufliche Entwicklung, 19 p.)|
With this technique attention is to be paid to the following:
- Mostly the workpiece is clamped in hard chuck jaws.
- Concave knurling is mainly applied for straight knurling of control knobs.
- The knurling wheel is fixed in the holder by an unhardened steel pin.
- The possibilities of application depend on the width of the portion to be knurled and the concave knurling wheels available.
- The knurling holder is to be clamped (approx. 1 mm) below centre and at right angle to the workpiece axis.
- By operating the cross-slide screw, the tool is pressed against the workpiece.
- If possible, the knurling should be produced in one feed setting.
- The knurling wheel must be clean.
- The workpiece is to be chamfered after knurling.
- The knurling is checked by visual inspection.
Figure 19 Control knob
1 gripping surface