|Case Studies in Community-Based Credit Systems for Low-Income Housing (HABITAT, 1995, 63 p.)|
1. Boleat, M., Housing finance institutions in Rodwin, L (ed.) Shelter, Settlement and Development (Boston, Allen and Unwin, 1987).
2. UNCHS Habitat Case Studies of Innovative Housing Finance Institutions Nairobi 1994
3. UNCHS Habitat Formal and Informal Financing in a Sites-and-Services Project in Kenya, Nairobi, 1983.
4. UNCHS Habitat Community-based Finance Institutions Nairobi 1984
5. UNCHS Habitat Community Credit Mechanisms - a training module is a practical guide on the subject of training
6. N.O. Jorgensens Progressive Annuity Tables are available from Shelter Afrique, P.O. Box 41479, Nairobi, Kenya.
7. In Jamaica the Co-operative Credit Union Leage had interest rates of 7% and 11% in 1984 for savings and loans respectively.
8. Punervaas is an Indian word implying upgrading/reconstruction/rehabilitation.
9. Report of the High Level Group on the proposal to set up a National Housing Bank and other Allied Issues, Reserve Bank of India, February 1987.
10. An NGO may already be operating with a particular community adopted by Punervaas for shelter upgrading, etc. NGOs usually work with such community in the areas of health hygiene and literacy.
11. This is not always possible. The endeavour is however to have as many women members as possible. One way of enforcing this is to give priority of LIH communities agreeing to accepting the principle of women as first signatories. The inspiration to make women as the main member has come from the experience of the Grameen Bank, Bangladesh and SEWA, India.
12. The model bye-laws have been prepared by Punervaas for registration of multi-purpose cooperatives. The bye-laws have been passed in consultation with the Cooperative Department and have the approval of Delhi Administration. The bye-laws provided for nomination of 4 members to the managing committee with President, Vice-President and Secretary being nominated.
13. DDA finds cluster approach generally better received than straight line approach. However it is too early to give proper findings on this subject.
14. For a detailed discussion on the subject see Improved Sanitation Environmental Health Conditions by Edger F. Ribeiro, Chief Planner, Town & Country Planning Organisation, Ministry of Urban Development.
15. According to Razia S. Ahmed Even the Grameen Bank Project (GBP) which is said to be a remarkable success and claims 100% recovery is far from perfect on the repayment issue. The loan disbursement and repayment procedure of GBP are somewhat misleading. The instalments that are overdue are not reported properly. Financing the Rural Poor-Obstacles and Rality, Razie S. Ahmed.
16. Deloittes Management Consultants coordinated and undertook most of the background work. All quotes in this section are from their summary document.