|Environmental Impacts of Small Scale Mining (CEEST, 1996, 62 p.)|
1. Literature survey, gathering of data to be done in Dar es Salaam, Dodoma and Mwanza.
2. Field visit to Merelani gemstone area.
3. Field visits to gold artisanal mines in Kahama, Nzega. Nyarugusu, and Geita.
4. Estimate amount of Mercury wasted in the gold recovery process.
5. Evaluate dust problems and its effect, gold and gemstone mining and processing.
6. Interview of mine workers on the processes they use: e.g. were they aware of the health and environmental hazards of Mercury, dust, Cyanide, etc?
7. Interview workers on the mining methods used: were they carrying out any mine reclamation measures following mining of gold and gemstones? If not, what were the hazards and problems?
8. Collect some samples for chemical analyses.
9. After collection and analysis of data, an Interim Report was prepared and discussed with CEEST.
10. The Final Report has been prepared after receiving CEEST comments on the Interim Report.