|The Family and Family Size (FAO)|
· A family is made up of people related by blood, marriage or law (formal or social).
· There are different kinds of families including nuclear and extended families, which may be monogamous, polygamous or one-parent.
· Each family member has roles and responsibilities. Together the parents are responsible for providing the needs (physical, emotional and social) of their children.
· When young people can identify and analyse factors which influence family size, they will be able to make rational decisions about family size and the effect on standards of living.
· The possibility of adequately meeting children's needs - nutrition, education, recreation, affection, - increases when parents make informed decisions about family size and child spacing.